WhatsApp requires a SIM card with the associated phone number to be used. But this requirement can also be avoided. TECHNOLOGY BUTTON shows how this works and which alternatives are still available.
WhatsApp cannot be verified without a mobile phone number , which is why a SIM card is usually required to use the messenger. However, there is a trick you can use to fool WhatsApp into a phone number. This makes it possible to install WhatsApp on old smartphones for which you no longer have a SIM card, or on a tablet without a SIM card slot. This method assumes that you have a landline phone.
There are even two different methods of activating WhatsApp without a SIM card. In our step-by-step instructions we will show you how it works.
How to install WhatsApp without a SIM card
Depending on which device you want to use WhatsApp on, you have to download the app either from the Google Play Store or directly from the Internet. Since we used an Android tablet for these instructions, we have to load the app from the WhatsApp page.
1. Open the WhatsApp download page in your browser and click Download Now .
2. Once the APK file is downloaded, open it and install WhatsApp.
3. When the installation is complete, click Agree and Continue .
4. If you are installing on a tablet, you will receive a notification that WhatsApp does not support tablets. You can safely ignore this message and continue with OK .
Also interesting: WhatsApp tests in-app support for better customer service
5. After you have installed WhatsApp in preparation, you now have to verify the app. Select Germany from the list of countries and enter your landline number without the “0” at the beginning.
6. Confirm your entry with Next .
7. To be on the safe side, WhatsApp asks again whether you have entered the correct number. Confirm with OK .
8. In the next window you can choose whether WhatsApp should automatically recognize the code that should be sent for verification via SMS. Click Not Now .
9. Since verification by SMS using a landline number does not work, you must select the Call me option . When the desk phone rings, pick it up and write down the code dictated by the computer voice. After entering the code correctly, the verification process is complete and you can use WhatsApp as usual.
Alternatively, use a special SIM card for WhatsApp
Instead of using WhatsApp without a SIM card, there is also a tariff from the cell phone provider Telefonica. This is specially designed for the messenger. The WhatsApp SIM card is completely geared towards the messenger service. It guarantees free WhatsApp use in all tariff options. It is a prepaid card without a contract term; the individual options can be canceled on a monthly basis.
WhatsApp accounts are always linked to a number. If the messenger has its way, it should be a cell phone number. If you want to use the messenger, you should also follow the rules of the game. A prepaid card can be the solution here. The special tariff “WhatsApp SIM” does not have to be, however. A few gigabytes of data is sufficient.