Pay TV provider Sky will add five new channels in the coming months. The first will be launched in March and will continue at the beginning of April. TECHNOLOGY BUTTON checks what customers can expect and how good the offer really is.
Above all in the entertainment sector, Sky is upgrading this year, but sports fans will also get their money’s worth. For them, the first of the five new Sky channels will start on March 18.
The new channels on Sky
Sky Sport F1
Just in time for the start of the Formula 1 season, there is a lot of information and races all about motorsport with Sky Sport F1. But Sky has also planned new channels for the series and film category. There is already more information about two of them, including a planned start date. The four new channels are designed to offer both linear and on-demand content and cover different areas of interest:
The channel Sky Comedy goes to the start on April 1st. Here users will find both national and international comedy series. Among other things, formats such as the “Quatsch Comedy Club” by Thomas Hermanns or a new edition of the British cult format “Spitting Image” are planned, in which puppets play the main roles.
Sky Comedy is a linear television channel. The prominent new publications start in the evening:
- “A short history of humor – with Dieter Nuhr”, from April 1st at 8:15 pm
- “Quatsch Comedy Club”, Season 4 from April 1st at 9.25pm
- “Comedy @ Sky”, Season 2 from April 1st at 10:25 pm
- “Superstore”, Season 1 from April 5th at 8:15 pm
- “Spitting Image”, Season 1 from April 6th at 8:15 pm
- “Leave it, Larry,” Season 10 starts April 6th at 9:05 pm
- “Schitt’s Creek”, Season 1 from April 7th at 8:15 pm
- “The Mindy Project”, Season 1 from April 7th at 9:30 pm
- American Pie on April 9th at 8:15 pm
A look at the upcoming Sky Comedy program shows that the focus is initially on series. These are either series in the classic sense or, as with the Quatsch Comedy Club, individual episodes that are integrated into a season. So far, there isn’t that much information about the series and films. There is a lot of program that many should not be familiar with yet. Just because a series is in season 1 doesn’t mean it’s new. “Schitt’s Creek” and “Superstore” actually date from 2015 and have been continued in the USA in several seasons since then. Sky Originals such as “Breeders”, “Avenue 5” and “Code 404” provide variety for hardcore comedy fans in the first few weeks.
In summary, comedy fans should be happy about the station. Compared to other genres such as crime or drama, there is not so much good content in this area, even with streaming services. However, you have to wait and see whether Sky constantly delivers new and interesting content or uses classics with many episodes such as “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” to fill the program.
Sky Crime is the second broadcaster that the pay-TV provider has planned to start on April 1st. With this channel, Sky would like to have a piece of the true crime pie. The genre has been all the rage in both streaming and podcasting since “Making a Murderer” started on Netflix. According to the description, it should be more about programs for true crimes than fictional crime novels. For example, Sky is planning a four-part series about the hospital mass murderer Nils Högel. In addition, users can find the documentation on the Wirecard scandal on Sky Crime, which was produced in cooperation with RBB.
- “The DNA of a Murder – with Paul Holes”, Season 1 from April 1st at 6:20 pm
- “Buried in the Backyard – Murder does not expire”, Season 1 from April 1st at 7.30pm
- “The Vow”, Season 1 from April 1st at 8:15 pm
- “The Devil Speaks”, Season 1 from April 1st at 10:20 pm
- “The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell,” Season 1, starting April 3 at 8:15 pm
- “The Mark of a Killer – Murderers and their trademarks”, Season 1 from April 5th at 8:15 pm
- “Diabolical – Devilish Crimes”, Season 1 from April 5th at 9:50 pm
- “Killer Couples: Murderous Couples”, Season 13 from April 6th at 8:15 pm
- “A Wedding and a Murder – After the wedding comes death”, Season 1 from April 6th at 9:50 pm
- “Advocates of Evil – Between Law and Conscience”, from summer 2021
- “Wirecard scandal”, the documentation from May 13th at 8:15 pm
- “Black Shadow – Serial Murder in the Hospital”, from autumn 2021
True crime works very well. In this respect, having your own Sky channel with a focus on this area is a good idea. The announced lineup at the start sounds very promising and fans of the genre should get their money’s worth. Here, too, of course, constancy is of the essence.
As the name suggests, Sky shows nature and animal documentaries here. Sky has not yet set a start date.
There is also no more detailed information on the new documentaries channel. A start date is still open. On the station, Sky shows documentary films and series from various topics such as sport, history or even biographies. There are also in-house productions.
Also read: The new series and films on Sky
Films and in-house productions
Sky will also follow up on the film front and in-house productions (Sky Originals) in the years to come. According to the press release, the broadcaster has extended important contracts and will therefore remain the top provider for new films in the future. In the case of in-house productions, mere administration is not enough, as streaming competitor Netflix in particular has the lead here. Therefore, Sky has announced that it will double the number of German Sky Originals in the next two years. A total of up to eight in-house productions are planned per quarter.
Limited football offer
While things are progressing in many other areas of Sky, things are unfortunately different in the area of football. The broadcaster’s biggest subscription driver has become smaller. Sky is right to announce that a large part of the Bundesliga will still run on the pay-TV broadcaster until 2025, as will the DFB Cup and Premier League until at least 2022 and the Champions League until the end of 2021. In addition to golf, the formula will also be available 1 shown exclusively. The station describes itself as the number 1 for sports fans. For the football sector, we would currently still sign it. On closer inspection, however, the facade crumbles. Many years ago, Sky was the undisputed top dog when it came to granting rights in Germany, but now there is financially strong competition not only with DAZN, but also with Amazon and large private broadcaster groups.Amazon, for example, has just secured important Champions League games for the 21/22 season, which were previously on Sky .