Find out how to link your Gmail account to other email addresses here.
Not only can Gmail be used as a single account, you can also link any other mail account to Gmail. Among other things, this enables you to check all emails from Gmail or to access Google services with a different email address. TECHNOLOGY BUTTON shows you how to do it step by step.
How to link your Gmail account to other email accounts
Few of them have a single email address these days. A new address can be created quickly for different occasions. To save time and nerves reading incoming messages, you can link all of your email accounts to one Gmail account. So you get the news bundled in one place. And that’s how it works:
- Open the settings in your Gmail account at the top right using the gear symbol and select “Call up all settings” in the opened field.
- Then go to “Accounts & Import”.
- There you will find the option “Add E-Mail Account” to the right of the sub-item “Retrieve messages from other accounts”.
- In the field that opens, enter the relevant e-mail address that you would like to be able to access via Gmail in the future, and click on “Next”.
- You then have two options, depending on the provider of the email address entered: 1. You can click on “Link accounts via Gmailify” (available for Yahoo Mail and Hotmail, for example); 2. The first option is grayed out, then click on “Import emails from my other account (POP3)”. In both cases you confirm with “Next”.
- Then follow the instructions and confirm your details by clicking “Next” or “Register”.
Once logged in, copies of messages received on the linked account are automatically made. These copies will end up in your Gmail inbox with a corresponding note so that you can access all messages. When replying to such emails, you can choose whether to use the original address or send them via your Gmail account.
Unlink accounts again
If you want to break the link between two e-mail accounts, this is also very easy:
- Go to “Settings” in the upper right corner and then to “Call up all settings”.
- Click on the “Accounts & Import” tab.
- To the right of the sub-item “Get messages from other accounts” you can select “Unlink”.
- You will then be asked whether you want to keep the messages that have already been transferred or whether you prefer to delete them. If you decide to delete, the emails can still be accessed via the other email account; they are only removed from the Gmail inbox.
Also interested: Call back incorrect emails on Gmail
Create an alternative mail address
It is also possible to log into an existing Gmail account that can be assigned to you using a different email address. This is useful so that you can use the Gmail functions with other e-mail addresses. Google offers some practical functions via its mail program such as Drive or Google Photos for storing documents and images. To use these functions with other e-mail accounts, proceed as follows:
- Log into your Gmail account and click on “Personal details” in the overview on the left.
- Select the sub-item “E-Mail” under the “Contact details” tab.
- In the overview that you can now see, you will find the item “Alternative e-mail addresses” and under it in blue “Add alternative e-mail address”.
- Enter the login details of your Gmail account again and then set one of your external email addresses.
- You will then receive a confirmation e-mail, follow the link highlighted in blue. You may then have to log in again with your Gmail data, then the registration is complete.
You can also undo this at the same point by clicking on the “Delete” symbol next to the alternative email address. Incidentally, despite the alternative mail address, your Gmail address can still be seen in a Google Doc when you edit it.