It doesn’t always have to be Netflix, Disney + or Amazon – the media libraries of the major broadcasters also have a lot to offer. And best of all: all content is free. TECHNOLOGT BUTTON shows the highlights in the ARD, ZDF and Arte media libraries for the month of April.
The streaming of series and films as an evening activity has not only been very popular since Corona. Users can watch a new episode of their favorite series or pause a film at the appropriate point according to their own schedule. In addition, you get the best graphic qualityt without any hardware clogging up your shelves. The big names in the industry are certainly Netflix , Sky , Disney + , Joyn, Amazon Prime Video and recently also HBO Max. But if you don’t feel like a paid subscription, you will quickly find what you are looking for in the media libraries of ARD and Co., the use of which is covered by the mandatory broadcasting fee for (almost) all households. In the media libraries, content can be called up that has already been seen on linear television. This also means that new series and films are added every month. TECHNOLOGY BUTTON presents the highlights in the program of the ZDF, ARD and Arte media libraries for the month of April.
- The ARD media library
- The ZDF media library
- The Arte media library
The ARD media library
ARD is known for its popular crime thrillers. In addition to new episodes of the popular Swedish series “Rebecka Martinsson”, the true crime documentary “Crime Time – In the footsteps of a child murderer” will be launched in April. It looks more cheerful in the family drama “How I learned to be a child with myself”. In addition, the British film “Brexit – Chronicle of a Farewell” is due to be premiered on German television. The film with Benedict Cumberbatch is also coming to the ARD media library at the same time.
Series and films at a glance
- Rebecka Martinsson (Season 2) Crime (2017–) Eva Melander, Jakob Öhrmann 7.2 04/02/2021
- Brexit – Chronicle of a farewell Biography, Drama (2019) Benedict Cumberbatch, Sarah Belcher, Malcolm Freeman 7th 04/04/2021
- Shadowworlds Berlin Documentary (2021) – – 04/09/2021
- Crime Time – On the Trail of a Child Killer (Season 1) Documentary, Crime (2021) – – 04/13/2021
- MaPa (Season 1) Drama, Comedy (2020 = Max Mauff, Lia von Blarer, Linda Wendel – 04/18/2021
- How I learned to be a child of myself Drama, Family (2019) Valentin Hagg, Karl Markovics, Sabine Timoteo 6.8 April 19, 2021
- Axel Wagner & Climate Change (Season 1) Documentary (2021) – – 04/21/2021
- The uncanny ease of the revolution Drama (2021) – – 04/21/2021
- The Movies – The Story of Hollywood (Season 1) Documentary (2019) – – 04/24/2021
Rebecka Martinsson (from April 2nd)
The young lawyer Rebecka Martinsson could climb the career ladder even further, but she is more interested in solving mysterious murder cases. From the beginning of April, four new episodes of the Swedish crime series will be available in the ARD media library.
Brexit – Chronicle of a farewell (from April 4th)
The 2019 film with Benedict Cumberbatch in the leading role as Dominic Cummings shows the events surrounding the political campaign that led to Brexit in 2016. Today, Cummings is considered to be the pioneer of Brexit, which significantly influenced the British vote with clever advertising campaigns
The ZDF media library
The ZDF media library is also completely free. Films, series and news can sometimes still be accessed there several months after they were broadcast. In April, among other things, after a long wait, a new season of the popular crime series “Kommissar Beck” is due. In addition, the new doctor series “Doktor Ballouz” will be launched in April. A highlight is certainly the series “Dead Pixels”, which deals with the obsession of three young people with an online role-playing game. Also new to the media library in April is the three-part film series about the Spanish investigator Amaia Salazar, which investigates mysterious murders in a remote valley.
Series and films at a glance
- Doctor Ballouz (Season 1) Doctor series (2021–) Merab Ninidze, Julia Richter – 04/01/2021
- What doesn’t kill us Comedy (2018) Mark Waschke, Deborah Kaufmann 5.8 04/01/2021
- Inspector Beck (Season 7) Crime (1997-) Peter Haber, Ingvar Hirdwall, Rebecka Hemse 7.4 04/02/2021
- The dream ship: Maldives / Zhaa Atoll Drama, romance (1981–) Florian Silbereisen, Hanna Liebhold 3.9 04/03/2021
- A table in Provence (season 2) Doctor series, drama Friederike Linke – 04/03/2021
- 37 degrees: Wipe and away – How to find and miss yourself today Documentary (2021) – – 04/06/2021
- Auguste Victoria – Germany’s last empress Documentary, history (2021) – – 04/10/2021
- Dead Pixels (Season 1) Comedy (2019-) Alexa Davies, Will Merrick 7.3 04/10/2021
- The valley of the dead girls Crime (2017) Marta Etura, Elvira Minguez, Nene 6.4 04/12/2021
- Erzgebirskrimi: The dead man in the moat Crime (2021) Julia Borchardt, Ruth Kennecke – 04/16/2021
- The promise Drama (2021) Mika Tritto, Andreas Döhler, Ella Morgen – April 19, 2021
- The valley of the forgotten children Crime (2019) Marta Etura, Amaruk Kyshapanta – April 19, 2021
- Fritzie: Heaven Must Wait (Season 1) Drama (2020–) Tanja Wedhorn, Neda Rahmanian 6.8 04/22/2021
- The valley of the secret tombs Crime (2020) Marta Etura, Inigo de la Iglesia – 04/26/2021
Inspector Beck (from April 2nd)
After a three-year break, Inspector Beck finally returns to television and the ZDF media library in April. The new seventh season consists of four episodes. Martin Beck investigates, among other things, in the case of a murdered drug dealer and there are tensions within the team and in his private life.
The Promise (from April 19th)
The 11-year-old boy Bendix lives with his depressed father. When he met 16-year-old Jule one day, she helped him better understand his father’s illness. When he is supposed to be placed in a foster family, Bendix forges a plan.
The Arte media library
The Franco-German broadcaster Arte has a certain reputation that it lives up to in the media library. Many high-quality documentaries can be seen there, but also some high-quality feature films. In April, Arte will show some classics such as the thriller “It happened in bright day” based on a script by Friedrich Dürrenmatt. The final episodes of the series “Peace” deal with the post-war period in Switzerland, while the documentary “The Eternal Korean War” deals with the simmering conflict between North and South Korea.
Series and films at a glance
title Genre (year) Performers IMDb date
- Peace (eps. 4-6) Drama, History (2021) 04/01/2021
- Who goes through the wall Comedy (2016) Denis Podalydès, Marie Dompnier 6.7 04/02/2021
- Under the pear tree Drama, Thriller (2019) Julia Koschnitz, Fritz Karl 5.7 04/02/2021
- D’Artagnan, musketeer in the service of the Sun King Documentary (2020) – – 04/03/2021
- America First – One Term Record Documentary (2021) – – 04/06/2021
- Fish tank Drama (2009) Katie Jarvis, Michael Fassbender 7.3 04/07/2021
- My life with Amanda Drama (2017) Vincent Lacoste, Isaure Multrier, Stacy Martin 7th 04/07/2021
- The Eternal Korean War Documentary (2019) – 7.1 04/13/2021
- Salamander (Season 1) Thriller (2012-) Filip Peeters, Violet Braeckman April 15, 2021
- The lost time Drama, History (2011) Alice Dwyer, Mateusz Damiecki – 04/16/2021
- It happened in broad daylight Crime (1958) Heinz Rühmann, Sigfrit Steiner 7.9 April 19, 2021
It happened in broad daylight (from April 19)
Even before Friedrich Dürrenmatt’s successful detective novel “The Promise”, the film “It happened in broad daylight” came out, on whose screenplay he had also worked. Dr. Matthäi is supposed to solve the murder of little Gritli in a small town near Zurich. The villagers quickly suspect a peddler who confesses under pressure and then hangs himself in his cell. Only Matthäi suspects that the wrong person was hit, that the murderer is still at large and is already looking for his next victim.
Salamander (from April 15th)
66 separate safes of prominent personalities are robbed in one fell swoop from the same bank in Brussels. The owners want to keep the matter under lock and key because of the explosive contents of the safes, but police inspector Laul Gerardi is still starting an investigation. In doing so, he gets on the track of a more secret organization and is therefore increasingly in danger of his life.