iPhone users can check the status of their battery in the settings. TECHNOLOGY BUTTON explains how you can obtain information about capacity and performance and what this actually means.
It is normal for batteries to lose capacity with every charge cycle, including the iPhone. You can then store less electricity, have to be charged more frequently and in extreme cases can even lead to system crashes if the electricity is only supplied unevenly. With most batteries, however, the latter is rare. It is not uncommon for the power supply to only reach 60-70% of its original capacity after about two years of daily charging.
Also interesting: The cell phone battery drains faster in the cold – that is the reason
For a long time, including Apple users, it was not possible to see the performance of your battery more precisely. It became known in the Batterygate scandal that Apple was deliberately reducing the performance of older iPhones in order not to impair the battery life. Apple promised improvement and announced that it would give users more control over the battery. Since then it has been possible to check the condition of the smartphone battery.
Here’s how to check iPhone battery capacity
1. Open the settings of your iPhone
3. In the battery settings, select the Battery condition option
4. You can now query the maximum capacity and the maximum performance of your battery
What does this information mean?
The maximum capacity indicates in percent how much of the original capacity of the battery is still available. The lower this number, the shorter the battery life. The maximum capacity, on the other hand, indicates whether the battery is still behaving normally. If the battery cells are still healthy, the information “Your battery currently supports normal maximum output” is displayed. If, however, the iPhone battery no longer supplies voltage evenly, the message appears that the iPhone can no longer deliver the necessary maximum performance or capacity. Then, by the way, the automatic performance management also intervenes. This means that the iPhone will reduce its performance by itself so as not to put any further strain on the battery. If you don’t want that, you can activate this function by clicking the blue buttonDeactivate deactivate .
If the maximum performance of the battery is impaired, a message may also appear that the battery condition has significantly degraded. The following is a reference to Apple Authorized Repair Services who can replace the battery to restore its original performance.
You might also be interested in: Read how you can replace the battery of your iPhone yourself if necessary and what you should definitely pay attention to!
Here’s what you can do to save iPhone battery life
- Do not fully charge the battery: Always refueling the battery to 100% may give a feeling of security, but it means a heavy load on the battery cells. A charge level between 90-100% degrades the iPhone battery capacity the most. It is therefore best to only charge the battery up to approx. 70-80%. With iOS 13, Apple has also introduced the ” optimized charging ” function , in which the iPhone battery does not charge more than 80 percent when the device is on a charging station for a long time.
- Battery not fully discharged : Just like always charging the battery to 100%, a complete discharge is also bad for the battery chemistry. Especially if the battery is repeatedly drained from 100% to 0% without a charging break, the capacity can be reduced by up to 30% within just one year.
- Protect from extreme temperatures : Make sure that the iPhone is not in the sun and switch off functions such as GPS. Heat has a negative effect on the battery chemistry and can contribute to a faster degradation of the capacity. The same applies to the cold, although the long-term damage is less. As a guideline: the ideal usage temperature for an iPhone is between 16 and 22 degrees.
- Charge without a case: It is best to charge your iPhone without a protective case to protect the battery and capacity. The reason is that the heat generated during charging can then escape better.