A moment of inattention and the mail went out differently than planned. With Gmail, you can still call back messages after they have been sent – TECHNOLOGY BUTTON shows you how.
This has definitely happened to everyone before: You press “Send” and in the next second you notice that a typing error has crept in, the message was sent to the wrong sender, etc. Messenger messages can then usually still be edited or delete it , which is more difficult with emails. With Gmail, however, you can still call back an email that has been sent. This article provides step-by-step instructions on how to do this.
How to call back emails sent on Gmail
There are no special requirements for calling back an e-mail via the Gmail provider . It is irrelevant whether the recipient also uses a Google address or not. The only component that you need to be aware of is time. There is a fixed time window for retrieving a message that has already been sent, which is a maximum of 30 seconds. So you can’t call back emails on Gmail at will. This results from Google’s sending process. After you have clicked on “Send”, the provider holds the mail for a short time before it is actually sent.
You can prevent the message from being sent during this so-called waiting period.
- After you have pressed “Send”, the message “Your message has been sent” appears at the bottom of the screen.
- In the same line there are also the options “View message” and “Undo”. Click on the blue “Undo” text.
- Gmail should then automatically notify you that the email was successfully retrieved. The previous bar is replaced by another one that now says “The sending was undone”. The e-mail then pops up again in edit mode.
Define the time window for a callback yourself
The default retrieval time for Gmail is 5 seconds – a fairly small window of time to discover any errors. You can also set this time individually. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Go to “Settings” or the gear symbol in the top right above the mail list and then to “Call up all settings”.
- Under the tab “General” you will find the option “Call back e-mail” and next to it the “Return deadline”.
- You can also expand a list in which you can enter 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds as a waiting period.
- Then don’t forget to save the settings at the bottom!
The retrieval works in exactly the same way on the tablet or smartphone.